Full course description
This course will open on September 11, 2023. Registration will close on September 18, 2023. The fall forestry tour will take place on November 3, 2023.
This program from Clemson Extension is designed for new and beginning forest owners. In this course, you will learn the basics of forest management and health. You will also become familiar with available landowner assistance programs, forestry professionals, and resources throughout the state. The online course includes instructional videos, knowledge check quizzes, and optional discussions. You will also have the opportunity to sign up for a forestry tour at the end of the course.
Are you an underserved farmer or producer?
An underserved farmer or producer is someone who has been operating a farm or ranch for not more than 10 years consecutive years, a limited resource farmer or producer, a socially disadvantaged farmer or producer that includes African Americans, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Asian, Hispanic, or Pacific Islander, or are a veteran of the United States military who was honorably discharged that has not operated a farm in the past or that has not operated a farm for more than 10 consecutive years.
If you are an underserved farmer or producer, please use the promo code producer50 when enrolling in this course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss common forest management practices and considerations.
- Describe the importance and the value of a written forest management plan.
- Discuss common forest health considerations.
- Discuss factors influencing timber value.
- Identify resources for forest owners across the state.
This course includes five modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to Forestry and Landowner Assistance in South Carolina
- Module 2: Timber Products and Economics
- Module 3: Prescribed Fire
- Module 4: Forest Health
- Module 5: Developing a Forest Management Plan
To complete the course, you will need to watch the instructional videos and complete the quizzes in all five modules. Each module will take about one hour to complete, but some modules may be longer than others. You are encouraged to work through at least one module per week to finish the course in time for the forestry tour.
To participate fully in this course, you will need:
- An active email address for the individual participating in the course.
- A desktop computer or laptop (recommended): Canvas is available on mobile devices, but some content may appear differently.
- Access to a high-speed internet connection.
- A web browser compatible with Canvas: Chrome and Firefox are recommended.
- Headphones or speakers (closed captioning also available).
- Computer skills including Internet browsing, using email, typing, downloading files, and basic troubleshooting.
- If you need help accessing or registering for a course, please contact Clemson Online at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our support email is monitored Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30. If you contact us in the evening or on the weekend, we will help you during the next business day.
- Please do not contact CCIT regarding CPE courses. Please reach out to Clemson Online so that we can assist you.
- Using Bulk Purchase? Please inform those you purchase seats for. They will receive an email invitation immediately upon enrollment. For more help, read about bulk enrollments in Catalog.